100% Spelt SourdoughRegular price £5.70
We changed the whole recipe of the spelt bread, making it now with only organic, wholemeal spelt flour! No white flour has been used in the dough (except a little bit in the starter, which makes it 4% of the total flour).
What does this change in the overall taste/nutritional value?
- Spelt is an ancient grain: this means that since humanity has been cultivating spelt (found already in Roman times), no changes have been made to it. It has a nutty, rustic flavour, and goes amazingly in soups and as a base for your eggs in the morning.
- It contains less gluten! Which is great for people with slight wheat intolerances (though it's NOT gluten-free unfortunately).
- It's particularly rich in iron, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, and niacin (vitamin B-3).
- Compared with wheat, spelt contains a slightly higher protein content, plus as a whole grain it has a high dietary fibre content that may help lowering cholesterol levels and may reduce hypertension. Also high-fibre foods can play a role in helping a person achieve or maintain a healthy weight because they keep people feeling fuller for longer.
- It is grown using little or no pesticides thanks to its hardy husk, which prevents insects from attacking the grain.
Sliced and frozen, it can last up to 3 months in the freezer, or 3-4 days if well wrapped or closed in an airtight container at room temperature. Never put bread in the fridge.
Why is the price slightly higher?
Spelt flour is a heritage grain, and as such is much more expensive than wheat flour, the type we buy is organic and comes directly from the mill (Shipton Mill).
Organic wholemeal Spelt flour, water, sea salt.
Wheat, spelt (gluten).
Please note: all our products are made in a kitchen that handles nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, almonds), peanuts, sesame, wheat (gluten), dairy products, eggs, sesame, soya.